12.22.2011

*Winter Solstice

Moon 122111



**Winter Solstice -
I love the long darkness that is broken by short daylight illuminating a desaturated gray, white, black and muted colors world. 
I love the cold expressions of the earth - steam rising off the water, a dog's breath visible with every pant, the shivers of the people in line for the bus.
I enjoy this day when we are all the same gray beings shuffling about in our gloved lives. 
I see the world and all living things as they are - naked of pretense, color, or spark for at this time we exist to move toward the lighter longer days. 
Tomorrow is when every day will start getting longer and people come back to color, life,  purpose, pretension of what is going to sprout from the sky's warm light. 
Instead, this is the day when all pretension of the earth is stripped bare, we are naked of rich beauty and exposed as the raw, unadorned bones and leafless trees.

Hazy Shade of Winter - Paul Simon
Hang on to your hopes, my friend
That's an easy thing to say, but if your hope should pass away
It's simply pretend
That you can build them again
 




I know the winter solstice was yesterday. I enjoyed its dark beauty.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the song!!! And I remembered this is the Winter Solstice, too. It was incredibly dark here in Michigan today with fog and heavy clouds, but with temps in the 40s, I shall not complain!

    The winter winds will blow yet, and then the summer sun will return again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good call on the song! One of the boys best efforts, and not nearly so well remembered as it deserves...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carla and CD - I really like that song. S and G were amazing together. Paul's lyrics and Art's vocal perfection.

    ReplyDelete

So,what are you thinking about?