4.15.2011

The 10 foot pole.

P.O.V.


"Choose your battles."
"I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole."
"Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me."
"Some days you get the bear.  Some days the bear gets you."

My understanding for these over-used sayings grows as I age,.  I am starting to learn what is worth jumping in to, what is better to watch from the sideline, and what is better avoided all together. 

I don't suggest we ignore the problems of the world.  I believe it is important though to look at things and truly decide if the moment, comment, position, or debate is worth my scalp.  I still lose it too often, but I am getting a little wiser on when it is worth it.

Here is a bit of advice I've learned along the way.  If the issue is for the other person like a bone is to a dog, go into the melee with all your best weapons that will completely vanquish your opponent or just walk away.  It is near impossible to change a deeply decided mind with logic,  compassion and debate.  When I say "weapons", they can be as deadly as a gun or as powerful as a hunger strike, non-violent demonstration, or a piece of art.  If you are going to engage, go all the way, otherwise,  just pass it by.



1 comment:

  1. As a response to your two posts together, I offer this quote:

    Dissent is the highest form of patriotism- political scientist Howard Zinn

    ReplyDelete

So,what are you thinking about?